Saturday, December 09, 2006

Chicken Jerky

You'd think that by the time you reach the age of 39.5, there wouldn't be much more to experience in life that would take you by surprise. "Been there, done that" by now, right? Well, I'm thinking there's still some tricks left up life's sleeve.

For example, tonight I ate at Taj Majal, a local Indian restaurant. Yep, you read that right: Indian food. The first time I partook of that Asian cusine (in preparation for a trip to India that was cancelled due to Taylor pretending like she was going to be born), I thoroughly disliked it.

I've now tried four or five Indian dishes, and they've ranged from mildly unpalatable to pretty okay. But tonight I had Chicken Tikka Masala, extra spicy. Man oh man oh man was it awesome! This could very possibly be my favorite food ever. At very least, it's in the top five.

This is what it looks like:



Yes, I know that this photograph looks remarkably similar to vomit. It's not just the picture... the food really does look like this in real life, too.

But it's goooooooooood....

And it's great to have a new favorite something, you know?

Did you see Steve Martin in the 1979 movie "The Jerk"? He was a white man (with absolutely no rhythm) being raised by a poor black family.



But one night, he heard nerdy white big band "music in a mellow mood" on the radio, and his feet started tapping. His fingers started snapping. This man, who had complained to his family about the blues ("There's something about those songs. They depress me.") finally found something that spoke to him.

Excitedly, he exclaimed, "Well, if THIS is out there, think how much MORE is out there!"

That's kind of how I'm feeling about Chicken Tikka Masala.