Friday, November 24, 2006

You Can't Have Everything... Where Would You Put It?

In recent years, I really learned to enjoy buying, wrapping, and giving presents to loved ones. I grew to see the whole process as one way to communicate love and caring. I would try to think of who the person was, what they needed, and what they liked. It was my way of showing I was thinking of them.

Of course, if I was at a genuine loss (as I often was), I'd do the gift card thing. Some people say that gift cards are impersonal and unimaginitive. But I like 'em.

Unfortunately, placing such value on the process inevitably led to disappointment when the reverse wasn't true. I found that over the last decade most people who gave me gifts based their buying decisions on what I did for a living, rather than who I was. Translation: I got a lot of "Pastor Plaques."

I've been thinking that this Christmas is going to be pretty unique in that there's no quick-fix on the present front. If someone wants to buy me something, they're not going to be able to just walk into a Christian bookstore and grab the first thing that says "Pastor" on it.

Since my new job has taken me far from family and long-time friends, I assumed my absence would alleviate the issue entirely. But the Thanksgiving turkeys haven't even begun to cool in the fridge, and already several people have asked what they can get me for Christmas. Drat!

It's hard to know what to say. Frankly, I really don't need much, since I've already accumulated most of life's trinkets and beads. Plus, as a bachelor in a one-bedroom apartment, I don't have a lot of room for stuff.

But to make things a little easier on those who are dead-set on sending me something, I updated my wish list for Christmas. The link is over there on the right, or you can just click here.

My address is 4680 Craftsbury Circle, Apt B, Fort Wayne, IN 46818, in case you've misplaced it.

In closing, if this entry seems a little below-par in comparison to my usual writing, it's because I really need to get going to work and haven't had time for the usual number of rewrites. Being late is the biggest no-no at the company I work for. The employee manual says, "There is no such thing as on time. You are either early or you're late." I love this place!

As a funny happinstance, I just received a text from someone in Cheyenne saying they're going shopping! Unless I'm mistaken, it's 6:15 in the morning there! Craziness! Have fun with the Black Friday crowds. I'll be at the office.

Note: Today's title is taken from a Steven Wright joke. Credit where credit is due.