Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fall In Love With Fall

The Guess Who sang,
"No time for a summer friend
No time for the love you send
Seasons change and so did I
You need not wonder why
You need not wonder why
There's no time left for you
No time left for you"

They were telling us that people's feelings change like the seasons and you'll often get left behind. In my head I know we've all got to come to grips with the fact that we can't control that. The seasons change, whether we want them to or not. Oh, I can stubbornly wear shorts and a t-shirt, but it's not going to stop the snow from falling. I can refuse to remove my ice skates, but the lake is going to melt anyway.

I know it, but I'm still the doofus who's always walking around in June with ice skates on. Silly me. One of these days I'll get it through my thick head, but for now I'm optimistic enough to think that if I keep them on long enough, the lake will freeze again.

(Confused yet? Don't worry about it. I never make sense at midnight.)

Seasons do change. Until I was an adult, I never really understood this concept. After all, growing up in Southern California, we never had seasons. Well, in all fairness, I guess we knew it was winter when we'd wake up and there'd be dew on the car windshields and we had to wear our windbreakers.

But it wasn't until I moved away that I saw the change of seasons. That's one of the things I've really loved about living in Oregon and Wyoming and now Indiana.

Of course, Cheyenne's got the reputation of having just two seasons: winter... and Frontier Days. But truth be told, I enjoyed many a spring day there. And certainly the three days of fall that happen before all the colorful leaves blow into Nebraska are quite lovely.

And it probably goes without saying that Oregon autumns are beautiful to look at.

But people, Indiana's got everybody beat when it comes to this time of year. My oh my, how I wish you could see what the last three weeks have looked like here.

I took some pictures today, but they're pitiful representations of the truely gorgeous color all around. I almost didn't post these because they just pale in comparison.

So do your best to imagine. And enjoy. I'm headed to bed.