Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Indianiel

Hoosier |ˈhoō zh ər| (noun) - a native or inhabitant of Indiana.



I was surprised to discover recently that the term "Hoosier" is not an insult. I mean, it sounds like one, doesn't it? "He's a Hoosier" sounds way more like "What a dweeb," than it does "He's a proud resident of Fort Wayne," right?



Now, lest you misunderstand, allow me to clarify that I've got no problem with Indiana. As a matter of fact, it's quite nice here. Green lawns, lush trees, flowing rivers, nice people, etc. For the most part, I like it.

It's just that since moving here last September, I've mostly felt like a visitor. Apartment living, no home church (still), and a lack of close friends have all contributed to my stay here feeling more like an extended trip than residency.

But recently, the impending expiration of my Wyoming driver's license forced my hand. I would've been illegal come next Monday, so this was the day I scheduled to head to the BMV. (No, that's not a typo. Here, it's BMV, not DMV. Speaking of dumb names, the gas company here is called NIPSCO.)



Anyway, my new drivers license and license plate (yes, plate is correctly singular - you only get one here), don't have me feeling any more like a Hoosier than I did this morning, but I imagine it'll help the transition somewhat.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cropduusstteeerrrrrr" :)

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Emmett Greider said...

Don't know what your tradition is, but have you tried Providence Presbyterian Church? It's small, Reformed, and meets in Concordia High School's chapel. Upon our return, we'll be attending there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home