Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I Am Resolute

Only three days into the new year, and I'm hoping that whatever New Year's resolutions you've made haven't failed yet. Or at least haven't been completely abandoned!

I didn't make a lot of them, and tried to be realistic about the ones I chose. Essentially, there's just three:

1) After spending most of November and all of December eating terribly, skipping lots of workouts, and gaining some lost weight back, I recommitted to following my Body for Life routine. (In case you ever wondered but were afraid to ask, that's how I went from 285lbs to 220lbs in the last couple years.) That means six days a week of up at 5:00am, alternate days of cardio and weightlifting, eating right, and lots of water. It doesn't sound fun (and often isn't), but it's far better than feeling like a lethargic, fat, sleepy slug, which is how I've felt for the last month and a half (and how I used to feel all the time).

2) Another very realistic goal is reading through the Bible in 2006. This might not sound like a big deal since I've taught verse-by-verse through most of it now, and read it through lots of times in the last 18 years. But I've never really followed a program. If you want to do this with me, I made a web page with the daily readings here. It'd be nice to know that we're all on the same page - literally!

3) But the resolution I'm most concerned about is an overall time-management plan I've been developing for myself. I made an hour-by-hour outline of my weeks with new daily routines that allow me lots of study time, but also include an hour a day of guitar, prayer, reading, etc. It seems completely realistic on paper, but will definitely take some discipline to implement. If this works, it's gonna be a great year in lots of ways!

I really would like 2006 to be productive for me spiritually, mentally, musically, and physically. What about for you? Have you given any thought to a New Year's resolutions? If so, I'd like to hear what your goals are. Post anonymously if you want, but sometimes just the act of writing them out in a public forum can be the best kind of motivation and accountability.

Honestly, that's the only reason I posted this today.

2 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Michael Byrd said...

Pastor Ron,

Belinda and I are right with you on reading through the Bible - we do this together and it is so much fun. Together, we've never read the Bible through but we are committed... With my many questions I took the opportunity to post with Pastor Shaun's Blog, which is great as well. I just hope my questions to him are not over-taxing!

Since my right knee reconstructive surgery in September I've lost some 25 pounds and I've got about 30 more to go. We'll see who can lose more this year... this 45 y/o ole' busted-knee guy or my youthful and energetic Pastor... :)

Thanks for your message Sunday night - I plan on getting my bum off of the pew and start serving... we'll see what He'll have me do.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Near the end of 2005, God revealed to me a little hint of how to lead a balanced life and how to reach my goals.

Just do one thing each day for my relationship with God, my physical body, my home, my husband, and my mind.

Just one thing. And as I gain more consistency with this mindset -- do more each day.

As I've grown with this mindset in the short time in which God revealed it to me, I've been in the Word more, I've exercised more and made smarter eating choices, my house is cleaner, my husband and I are communicating more and better, and I'm finally finishing my Bachelors degree.

I am looking forward to what God can do through me as I order my steps according to His Word and His Will.

God bless,
Kristy Wells

 

Post a Comment

<< Home