Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Simple Pleasures

I took my two dogs to the dog park yesterday. It was unspeakably fun for them. Of course since they can't talk, everything they do can be described with the word "unspeakably." But they had fun nonetheless. Or is it nevertheless? Regardless, they had fun. But not "irregardless," which has an illogical negative prefix, and makes one appear to be a simpleton attempting to sound educated.

So... at the gym the other day, I noticed that they had replaced the slimy shower curtains - which I believe had been hanging there since I joined a few years ago - with new ones. What struck me was that I was genuinely happy about it. Unspeakably happy. Now, like the aforementioned canines (abovementioned? previously mentioned?), I prefer not to speak at certain times, one of which is the gym locker room. Not about football, not about the weather, not about vacations. Not about anything. Eyes forward, mouth shut.

But since I normally only notice the things that bug me, I was surprised to find happiness in such a thing. Of course I realize that "Happiness is a new shower curtain" probably doesn't need to be mass-produced on t-shirts and bumper stickers. But in the last few days, I've found myself noticing all kinds of little circumstances and things in life that do bring me happiness. There have been hundreds, but here's a few:

- A full tank of gas
- My grandaughters' smile
- My Siberian Husky's undivided attention
- A balanced checkbook
- Crossing an item off my to do list
- A finished Bible study communicated well
- A pile of interesting books from the library
- Time to read

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

On the outside, the stuff on my list may sound a bit boring to you. After all, "back in the day," much of my time was spent living the life of a Southern California metal musician. Yes, it was a lot of what you probably imagine it was. But genuine happiness? There wasn't much of it. Happiness now? A whole lot of it. No wonder, then, that Paul told us...

1Thessalonians 4:10-11 ...we urge you, brethren, to excel still more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...

If you think your life is a somewhat boring, think about the little things that make you happy.

1 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Ron
I do not find your list boring at all. I have found that it is the little things in life like a new shower curtain or my six year old daughter taking the trash out without being asked, just to help mommy that make me happy. Thank you for The RonBlog. God bless you and your family.

Edna R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home